Hi Julia
> On Nov 19, 2019, at 5:06 AM, Julia Boes <julia.b...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Roger, Lance,
>
>>> If we're putting "public" on the same line as the method then
>>> it seems useful to put the /* non-public */ on the same line too.
>>> Though I don't know we have style guidance for that.
>>> (And elsewhere too).
>> Is the above common coding in the JDK?  To me it seems to be more readable
>> to have the comment above the method?
>>
>> If I run reformat in Intellij for example with code similar to the above, it
>> will put /*non-public*/ on its own line.
>>
>> Before reformat:
>>
>> ——————
>> /*non-public*/ static void foo(String f1) {
>>     System.out.printf("hello %s%n", f1);
>> }
>> —————————
>> After reformat:
>> —————
>> /*non-public*/
>> static void foo(String f1) {
>>     System.out.printf("hello %s%n", f1);
>> }
>> ——————
>
> Looking at the existing code base, the same-line version is slightly more
> common (57 of 100). I would lean on the side of consistency and stick to the
> same-line version unless there are any objections.
>
> Updated webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jboes/webrevs/8234335/webrev.01/

Seems to be a “your milage varies”.  I am fine with whatever the final decision
is.  However, I do believe the comment above reads better and aligns the
methods better.

Best
Lance

 <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif>
 <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif>
<http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif>
 <http://oracle.com/us/design/oracle-email-sig-198324.gif>Lance Andersen|
Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
Oracle Java Engineering
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803
lance.ander...@oracle.com <mailto:lance.ander...@oracle.com>