Thanks Roger!

David

On 27/05/2020 12:28 am, Roger Riggs wrote:
Looks good.

Thanks to Mark and you for the improvement and testing.

On 5/26/20 12:59 AM, David Holmes wrote:
webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8242504/webrev/

This work was contributed by Mark Kralj-Taylor:

https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-runtime-dev/2020-April/038975.html

On the hotspot side we change the Linux implementations of javaTimeMillis() and javaTimeSystemUTC() so that they use clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME) instead of gettimeofday(). In keeping with our conditional use of this API I added a new guard

os::Posix::supports_clock_gettime()

and refined the existing supports_monotonic_clock() so that we can still use CLOCK_REALTIME if CLOCK_MONOTONIC does not exist. In the future (hopefully very near future) we will simply assume these APIs always exist.

On the core-libs side the existing test:

test/jdk/java/time/test/java/time/TestClock_System.java

is adjusted to track the precision in more detail.

Finally Mark has added instantNowAsEpochNanos() to the benchmark previously known as

test/micro/org/openjdk/bench/java/lang/Systems.java

which I've renamed to SystemTime.java as Mark suggested. I agree having these three functions measured together makes sense.

Testing:
  - test/jdk/java/time/test/java/time/TestClock_System.java
  - test/micro/org/openjdk/bench/java/lang/SystemTime.java
  - Tiers 1-3

Thanks,
David