On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 11:14:49 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> To facilitate review, here is a list on how the different directories under
>> make/data has moved.
>>
>> **To java.base:**
>> * blacklistedcertsconverter
>> * cacerts
>> * characterdata
>> * charsetmapping
>> * cldr
>> * currency
>> * lsrdata
>> * publicsuffixlist
>> * tzdata
>> * unicodedata
>>
>> **To java.desktop:**
>> * dtdbuilder
>> * fontconfig
>> * macosxicons
>> * x11wrappergen
>>
>> **To jdk.compiler:**
>> * symbols
>>
>> **To jdk.jdi:**
>> * jdwp
>>
>> **Remaining in make:**
>> * bundle
>> * docs-resources
>> * macosxsigning
>> * mainmanifest
>
> Are you proposing any text or guidelines to be added to JEP 201 as part of
> this?
>
> I think the location of jdwp.spec and its location in the build tree may need
> to be looked at again. It was convenient to have it in the make tree, from
> which the protocol spec, and source code for the front end (module jdk.jdi)
> and a header file for the back end (module jdk.jdwp.agent) are created. Given
> that the JDWP protocol is standard (not JDK-specific) then there may be an
> argument to put it in src/java.se instead of a JDK-specific module.

@AlanBateman Well, I don't know about updating JEP 201. Do you mean that `data`
should be added to the list `classes`, `native`, `conf`, `legal` as presented
under the heading "New scheme"? That list does not seem to have been kept up to
date anyway. A quick glance also shows that we now have at least `man` and
`lib` as well in this place. So either we say there's precedence for not
updating the list, in which case I will do nothing. Or we should bring JEP 201
up-to-date with current practices, which then of course should include `data`
but also all other new directories that has been added since JEP 201 was
written.

I really don't care either way, but my personal opinion is that JEP 201
presented a view on how the plan was to re-organize things, given the knowledge
and state of affairs at that time, but how we keep the source code organized
and structured from there on, is a living, day-to-day engineering effort that
is just hampered by having to update a formal document, that serves little
purpose now that it has been implemented.