On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 02:34:48 GMT, Roger Riggs <rri...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> The intermittent test in java/lang/ProcessBuilder/Basic.java has identified
>> unexpected messages from a child Java VM
>> as the cause of the test failure.  Attempts to control the output of the
>> child VM have failed, the VM is unrepentant .
>>
>> There is no functionality in the child except to wait long enough for the
>> test to finish and the child is destroyed.
>> The fix is to switch from using a Java child to using a native child; a new
>> executable `sleepmillis`.
>
> Roger Riggs has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Revised to use native /bin/sleep program on Unix* (non-Windows).
>   For Windows, a native "BasicSleep" program is used.

Hi Roger,

I think this can be simplified - see comments.

Thanks,
David

test/jdk/java/lang/ProcessBuilder/Basic.java line 2646:

> 2644:         if (exePath.toFile().canExecute()) {
> 2645:             return exePath;
> 2646:         }

Not sure why this is so elaborate when elsewhere in the test we just assume
`/usr/bin/env` exists?

test/jdk/java/lang/ProcessBuilder/Basic.java line 2662:

> 2660:             // Fallback to the JavaChild sleep does a sleep for 10
> minutes.
> 2661:             // The fallback the Java$Child is used if the test is run
> without building
> 2662:             // the BasicSleep native executable (for Windows).

The comment doesn't read correctly.

test/jdk/java/lang/ProcessBuilder/Basic.java line 2665:

> 2663:
> 2664:             Path exePath =
> Path.of(TEST_NATIVEPATH).resolve("BasicSleep.exe");
> 2665:             System.out.println("exePath: " + exePath + ", canExec: " +
> exePath.toFile().canExecute());

What is this for??

Changes requested by dholmes (Reviewer).