On 5/8/22 06:54, Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva wrote:
If StrictMath is still needed and could produce different results than
Math in some modern hardware, then by the javadocs, it seems to imply that
Math should always delegate to StrictMath and never the other way around.
Why is it not always the case? I think that the answer is simply because
the StrictMath class was largely left unchanged and that delegating in one
way or in the other could then produce a difference when the strictfp
modifier was there, but is there a better reason than that?

Some targets (x86, in particular) have intrinsics (log, trig) that
are faster than StrictMath and also more accurate. StrictMath is not
about accuracy, but cross-architecture down-to-the-last bit reproducibility.
Whether we still need that reproducibility is, I suppose, something for
debate.

--
Andrew Haley  (he/him)
Java Platform Lead Engineer