I think there is potentially actionable feedback in that the exception
thrown when users bump into this limitation kinda sucks

jshell> Arrays.asList(1, 2, 3).add(4);
|  Exception java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
|        at AbstractList.add (AbstractList.java:155)
|        at AbstractList.add (AbstractList.java:113)
|        at (#8:1)

jshell> try { Arrays.asList(1, 2, 3).add(4);} catch (Exception e) {
System.out.println(e.getMessage());}
null

I think there would be value in overriding "add" and other such operations
to provide enough context for users to *understand* that
* they did an unsupported operation
* the list given by `Arrays.asList` was the cause

If I had to guess, that's the core of the frustration. The process to get
from "not understanding what went wrong" -> "understanding what went wrong"
-> "knowing how to fix it" is high.

The design problem is how much context can be conveyed in an exception
message/stack trace.

There is a similar conversation to be had for the collections returned by
List.of() and similar.

jshell> List.of().add(1)
|  Exception java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
|        at ImmutableCollections.uoe (ImmutableCollections.java:142)
|        at ImmutableCollections$AbstractImmutableCollection.add
(ImmutableCollections.java:147)
|        at (#6:1)

jshell> try { List.of(1, 2, 3).add(4);} catch (Exception e) {
System.out.println(e.getMessage());}
null

There is a clue in the stack trace here though for List.of() with the
"ImmutableCollections" calls. Maybe if we took two moves

1. Renamed the internal ArrayList to something like ArrayWrappingList
2. Overrode add

then the stack trace could be enough (or better than the status quo)