On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 14:19:16 GMT, Pavel Rappo <pra...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review this long-awaited change to documentation inheritance.
>
> This change improves "methods comment algorithm" and introduces directed
> documentation inheritance. While "methods comment algorithm" -- automatic
> search for inheritable documentation -- has been improved, it still cannot
> read an author's mind so as to always find the documentation they intended.
> From now on, an author can state their intention, by providing an FQN of the
> superclass or superinterface from which to inherit documentation:
>
> ​{@inheritDoc S}
>
> Which is exactly what I did to counterbalance some of the JDK API
> Documentation changes caused by the change to "methods comment algorithm".

src/jdk.compiler/share/classes/com/sun/tools/javac/parser/DocCommentParser.java
line 1325:

> 1323:                         //
> 1324:                         //     m.at(pos).newInheritDocTree(ref)
> 1325:                         //

Although the scary warning is not wrong, I think it would have been enough to
say something more concise, like "_use the original legacy method if no ref is
given_"

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14357#discussion_r1221797159