Hello,

I would really appreciate any help I can get on this! I've suddenly ran into
a very strange error.

when I do:
bin/start-all
I get:
hadoop$ bin/start-all.sh
starting namenode, logging to
/Users/hadoop/hadoop-0.18.2/bin/../logs/hadoop-hadoop-namenode-loteria.cs.tamu.edu.out
starting jobtracker, logging to
/Users/hadoop/hadoop-0.18.2/bin/../logs/hadoop-hadoop-jobtracker-loteria.cs.tamu.edu.out

No datanode, secondary namenode or jobtracker are being started.

When I try to upload anything on the dfs, I get a "node in safemode" error
(even after waiting 5 minutes), presumably because it's trying to reach a
datanode that does not exist.  The same "safemode" error occurs when I try
to run jobs.

I have tried bin/stop-all and then bin/start-all again. I get the same
problem!

This is incredibly strange, since I was previously able to start and run
jobs without any issue using this version on this machine. I am running jobs
on a single Mac Pro running OS X 10.5

I have tried updating to hadoop-0.19.0, and I get the same problem. I have
even tried this using previous versions, and I'm getting the same problem!

Anyone have any idea why this suddenly could be happening? What am I doing
wrong?

For convenience, I'm including portions of both conf/hadoop-env.sh and
conf/hadoop-site.xml:

--- hadoop-env.sh ---
 # Set Hadoop-specific environment variables here.

# The only required environment variable is JAVA_HOME.  All others are
# optional.  When running a distributed configuration it is best to
# set JAVA_HOME in this file, so that it is correctly defined on
# remote nodes.

# The java implementation to use.  Required.
 export
JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home

# Extra Java CLASSPATH elements.  Optional.
# export HADOOP_CLASSPATH=

# The maximum amount of heap to use, in MB. Default is 1000.
 export HADOOP_HEAPSIZE=3000
--- hadoop-site.xml ---
<configuration>

<property>
  <name>hadoop.tmp.dir</name>
  <value>/Users/hadoop/hadoop-0.18.2/hadoop-${user.name}</value>
  <description>A base for other temporary directories.</description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>fs.default.name</name>
  <value>hdfs://localhost:9000</value>
  <description>The name of the default file system.  A URI whose
  scheme and authority determine the FileSystem implementation.  The
  uri's scheme determines the config property (fs.SCHEME.impl) naming
  the FileSystem implementation class.  The uri's authority is used to
  determine the host, port, etc. for a filesystem.</description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
  <value>localhost:9001</value>
  <description>The host and port that the MapReduce job tracker runs
  at.  If "local", then jobs are run in-process as a single map
  and reduce task.
  </description>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.tasktracker.tasks.maximum</name>
<value>1</value>
<description>The maximum number of tasks that will be run simultaneously by
a task tracker
</description>
</property>