Brian Bockelman wrote:

On Apr 2, 2009, at 3:13 AM, zhang jianfeng wrote:

seems like I should pay for additional money, so why not configure a hadoop
cluster in EC2 by myself. This already have been automatic using script.

Not everyone has a support team or an operations team or enough time to learn how to do it themselves. You're basically paying for the fact that the only thing you need to know to use Hadoop is:
1) Be able to write the Java classes.
2) Press the "go" button on a webpage somewhere.

You could use Hadoop with little-to-zero systems knowledge (and without institutional support), which would always make some researchers happy.

Brian

True, but this way nobody gets the opportunity to learn how to do it themselves, which can be a tactical error one comes to regret further down the line. By learning the pain of cluster management today, you get to keep it under control as your data grows.

I am curious what bug patches AWS will supply, for they have been very silent on their hadoop work to date.