From: Steve Loughran [mailto:ste...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 2:19 AM
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Amazon Elastic MapReduce

Brian Bockelman wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2009, at 3:13 AM, zhang jianfeng wrote:
>
>> seems like I should pay for additional money, so why not configure a
>> hadoop
>> cluster in EC2 by myself. This already have been automatic using script.
>>

> Not everyone has a support team or an operations team or enough time to
> learn how to do it themselves.  You're basically paying for the fact
> that the only thing you need to know to use Hadoop is:
> 1) Be able to write the Java classes.
> 2) Press the "go" button on a webpage somewhere.
>
> You could use Hadoop with little-to-zero systems knowledge (and without
> institutional support), which would always make some researchers happy.
>
> Brian

True, but this way nobody gets the opportunity to learn how to do it
themselves, which can be a tactical error one comes to regret further
down the line. By learning the pain of cluster management today, you get
to keep it under control as your data grows.

I am curious what bug patches AWS will supply, for they have been very
silent on their hadoop work to date.