On Thu, 17 May 2018 at 12:57 Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> Hi Brett,
>
> On Thu, 17 May 2018 10:54:27 -0400
> Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
> > Since both Paul Moore and Antoine Pitrou started to ask questions about a
> > side comment I made about VSTS, I might as well start a discussion (Steve
> > has also *just* emailed python-committers about this topic).
>
> The main thing that worries me is that VSTS (the service, perhaps not
> the basic infrastructure) is a very new thing and we don't have any
> visibility over its continuity, its capacity, its robustness, etc.

Actually, depending on how you measure, VSTS is older than Travis. :) So
originally there was TFS which was an on-premise thing from MS released in
2005 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Foundation_Server). The
cloud-hosted version is VSTS and that was released in 2013 (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio#Team_Services).
Travis it turns out was founded in 2011 (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_CI).

And if it makes you feel any better, all of MS runs on VSTS, e.g. Windows,
Visual Studio, Office, etc. So it's only "new" from the perspective of
anonymous access and thus being usable for open source projects in general.

> Travis-CI and AppVeyor, with all their defaults, have been in this
> space for some time, have a lot of existing customers and we can expect
> some amount of stability in the future (of course, there's no
> guarantee).
>
> So I'd like it if didn't ditch *all* of the non-VSTS CI.  Not for now
> anyway, we can of course revisit the decision in 2 years :-)

If that's how people end up feeling in general then that's fine and we can
leave Travis and/or AppVeyor in place and simply not make them required so
they don't hold us up if VSTS turns out to run faster.