Matt,

Thanks for the reply! :)

AVAudioFile would be one way to go except that I am recording live streams, and
using AVAudioFile I should make the ‘write’ asynchronous myself and make sure
the direct-to-disk stuff won’t hic the AudioIO thread.

This is supposed to be the promise of ‘ExtAudioFileWriteAsync’.

Has anyone tried playing around with the
kExtAudioFileProperty_IOBufferSizeBytes property of Extended Audio File
Services? I have feeling that this is the way to go (increasing the buffer so
that writing would occur less frequently.

Apparently the kExtAudioFileError_AsyncWriteBufferOverflow is thrown when write
requests are arriving faster than the system’s ability to access disk (can
happen at any time and all of a sudden). The bad news is that when this is
thrown it actually halts the IOThread! Can’t figure out why… .

Hint that can help: I am recording two live streams (stereo) at the same time
(i.e. two audio files).

Any hints?