Timothy,

One minute sounds definitely WAY too long.
I cannot imagine the V3 API has a new implementation from scratch, it probably
encapsulates the V2 C API.

What you could do is to write a quick & dirty test app, and build your graph
using AVAudioEngine and AVAudioUnitSampler, and load your SoundFonts there, to
see if there is a difference.

I don’t know your code but I have 2 unfounded suspicions. Maybe there is a
glitch that causes the problem; especially those C data types in Swift can be
tricky. Or you have a SoundFont issue. I remember the AUSampler has
difficulties with complex SoundFonts. Either way, a test project with
AVAudioEngine could reveal something.

If you like you can send your test project to me to help troubleshoot the issue.

Best,
Sven