Are you using the C API or the Objective C API?

Why do you have multiple 16-channel MIDISynth units running?  You could
possibly run out of CPU because they cannot steal voices from each other.

If your MIDISynth code works for one bank but not another, I find it hard to
imagine it is a configuration issue.

Can you point me to the banks in question?

-DS