A quick followup:

Is it possible that some of the instruments are running out of voices (e.g.
the aforementioned piano instrument)? As an experiment I switched synth
units from AUMIDISynth to AUSampler and tried setting voice count. It seems
the default is 64 voices and I tried to set it to 128 or even 256 but
unfortunately that seemed to have no effect on the issue. I accomplished
that by getting the ClassInfo property with global scope, casting to a
dictionary, assigning an NSNumber to "voice count" key and finally setting
the ClassInfo back. Is that the correct way to do this? There were no
errors logged.

Bartosz