On 02/22/2011 02:47 AM, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:
>> Does everyone prefer to have it not include update_microcode.c and
>> change romstage.c in those boards that call update_microcode(...) ?
>
> At least I like this better. It makes it clear what effect this
> option has for mainboard code.

If this option ever existed, I want it to stay out of my way entirely. I
don't even want to know it exists without explicitly searching for it. I
don't want to ever be in the situation where I find out that my board
froze because the microcode update was disabled, and I don't want
newcomers to waste their time asking about that pompous sounding
"Disable Microcode update" option in menuconfig.

If I _really_ wanted to disable microcode updates, I would simply
comment out a line of code.

As far as the licensing discusion gooes, I have thought of this
intensely. I don't see microcode as violating my freedom. It is
hardware. modifying microcode modifies the hardware. This is something
that software cannot do.

+ We are firmware developers, not hardware engineers.

I'm not voting no on this, just so as long as it is completely invisible
to me.

Alex