> Now I always unplug the AC adapter and remove the battery before
> powering up my flasher (although I do leave the chip-clip connected).

This is about right. I programmed most of INTEL platforms using dediprog
SF100: ATOM: from D4xx/D5xx (Pine Creek) series, TNC, BYT-M/I, BSW and CORE
(IVB, HSW, BDX-DE, BDW-H, SKL-Y/U), whereas for some HSW-U series it was
necessary to put platform in S5 state by shutting down them to S5. AC in
most cases removed, I did not have battery since I played with test
platforms. And there were 4x2 pins connectors for most of platforms,
recently with special small connector forms and adapters for SF100
programming heads, but in some cases I needed clip to connect directly to
flash.

Zoran