Typical luck, just as I sent my last message my new monitor arrives. I've just
hooked it up and it actually worked.

Unfortunately it's not a 15'' monitor, but a 14'' one. Not sure how it works on
only 1 lane, but not going to complain.

For anyone else interested the monitor specs are here:
http://www.bvslcd.cn/uploads/2016/11/261508375971.pdf