Dear coreboot folks,

On 2019-12-15 11:54, Paul Menzel wrote:

> On the Lenovo T60 (with AMD/ATI graphics) the Linux kernel (4.9,
> 4.19, 5.3, 5.4) hangs after starting user space. As SeaBIOS, GRUB,
> payloads and FreeDOS work, I tried to limit the number of CPUs, and
> booting Linux with `nosmp` gave me a booting system. It worked with
> older coreboot versions, so I think it’s a regression. I am able to
> reproduce this with coreboot 4.11 and 4.11-422-g1a5c3bb7fa.
>
> Is somebody else seeing this issue? Maybe on some i945 desktop board,
> so it would be easier to bisect?

Just as an update, here is the description.

>         nosmp           [SMP] Tells an SMP kernel to act as a UP kernel,
>                         and disable the IO APIC.  legacy for "maxcpus=0".

So, after seeing some IRC discussion in #coreb...@irc.freenode.net,
the tests below were done.

System *boots* with one of:

1.  maxcpus=0 (equivalent nosmp)
2.  maxcpus=1
3.  nolapic (with e1000 warning about missing MSI-X

System does *not* boot with one of:

1.  maxcpus=2
2.  noapic

But first, it’d be great if other i945 device users could confirm
this.

Kind regards,

Paul