-----Original Message-----
From: Julius Werner [mailto:jwer...@chromium.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:05 AM
To: Patrick Georgi <pgeo...@google.com>
Cc: Julius Werner <jwer...@chromium.org>; Coreboot <coreboot@coreboot.org>;
Nico Huber <nic...@gmx.de>; Angel Pons <th3fan...@gmail.com>; Stefan Reinauer
<stefan.reina...@coreboot.org>; Ryan Case <ryandc...@google.com>; Wim Vervoorn
<wvervo...@eltan.com>; Frans Hendriks <fhendr...@eltan.com>; Martin Roth
<martinr...@google.com>
Subject: Re: Supporting blobs with licenses that you agree to on download

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 12:11 AM Wim Vervoorn <wvervo...@eltan.com> wrote:
> You only need a single mainboard to be in the tree. A mainboard can trigger
> cloning a specific branch of this repository after warning for the license.

So I think you're basically just suggesting to use branches instead of
different repositories to separate them, but still separate them all
individually. I don't think it makes much of a difference, just that branches
are usually used in Git to track different versions of the same thing, so I
think it might be confusing to use them to track different things instead. I
think if we decide that every affected vendor should have their blobs isolated
by themselves, we might as well just make them different repositories (unless
Patrick has any preferences about what scales better on the infra side there).

>> > Would it be enough to just create a second repository
>> > (3rdparty/restrictive_blobs or something like that) which is not
>> > automatically checked out by CONFIG_USE_BLOBS so people can make a
>> > separate conscious decision if they want to check it out?
>
> If it doesn't allow redistribution, we'd have to check if coreboot.org can
> host such repos (because we redistribute all the time) or if there's some
> implied license by the licensor (they pushed it for redistribution after
> all), and if we can mirror it to github.com and other places (or if that's
> not implied anymore). As coreboot.org maintainers we won't accept a special
> "redistribution by coreboot.org allowed" type of license: if those bits are
> _that_ precious, we don't want them.

No, wait, sorry, I never said they don't allow redistribution. I think it's
clear that we can't host them if we can't redistribute them.
(Note that blobs with licenses like this are hosted in other projects'
big blob repos like
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree
too.)

These licenses explicitly *do* allow unlimited redistribution. It's just that
the license text says you're only allowed to download it if you're agreeing to
the license (whether that's enforceable in each jurisdiction is a different
question, of course). So if anything this is on the downloader, not on the
redistributor. Personally, I think this isn't much different than one of those
bundled EULAs that say "if you don't agree to this, you must bring the CD back
to the store"...
but I'm not a lawyer and I can understand that some people may feel more
concerned about it, so I'm hoping we can find a solution that allows those
people to avoid downloading these blobs unintentionally.

[WIM] I think this exactly explains what it is. This is indeed the intention of
these licenses. On the other hand, if having those is a problem. It may still
be better to find a good solution to solve these type of issues. I was thinking
about this again and you're right about the separate mainboard repo with these
separate branches. Wouldn't it be better to host blobs with a "dubious" license
separately on github and pull them in when needed (and after a warning)? This
way they are not part of the coreboot project and we don't spend a huge amount
of time on them discussing the license. This github repo is then the
responsibility of the board maintainer.

Wim