Oct 31, 2021, 15:03 by nic...@gmx.de:

> Hi Sheng,
>
> On 27.10.21 06:29, Tan, Lean Sheng wrote:
>
>> As mentioned earlier the Firmware of the PSE needs to be loaded at boot time
>> of the host CPU, this is mandatory for Elkhart Lake.

> so as far as I understand it this is not necessarily a blob, your patch
> only treats it like one? Or is there any need to make it proprietary?

> OTOH, if we'd add an option to load an external file like your patch
> suggests, we'd lose a lot. Not only, would it complicate the build
> process, we'd also have another platform that can't boot without
> external files. And that is more error-prone and always leads to more
> support requests, frustration etc. It's bad for the project, IMHO.
>
> Nico

The issue of loading the PSE firmware was brought up in the coreboot leadership
meeting on October 20.

Sheng mentioned that the desire/plan is to open the code for the PSE binary at
some point, but it isn't open yet.

This binary is also mandatory for the elkhart lake platform, so to support this
platform, loading this is required, whether it's built from source as a part of
the coreboot build or supplied as a blob.

The decision at the leadership meeting was to allow this binary to be loaded by
coreboot, so long as the PSE acts like an EC, and does not have access to the
X86 memory space.

The load method wasn't discussed beyond what's in CB:55367, so if there's a
different load method that's desired, that could be acceptable, but I think we
can close the discussion on whether or not to allow the binary loader to be
added, provided Sheng can show that this part doesn't have security
implications for the X86 side.

Martin