On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 12:55 PM bernd...@web.de <bernd...@web.de> wrote:
> https://www.electronicloop.de/Original-Pomona-SOIC8-SOP8-Chip-IC-Test-Clip-Adapter-Board-Pruefklemme-TL866
> https://www.conrad.de/de/p/joy-it-1717242-raspberry-pi-usb-hub-interface-konverter-1-st-2226394.html

I took a look at these, and the clip should work. However, I found a
datasheet for that programmer [1], and there does not seem to be any
pins which can act as a 3.3V supply, which is required. There might be
ways around that [2], but I don't know for sure if that method will
work on the X220. So that programmer may not be ideal.

> It seems the connection of the jumper wire, that's going to be connected with
> the programmer, needs to be female (socket) because the programmer seems to
> have a male connection (pins) with the pin header already soldered on. I
> can't see on the pictures, whether the jumper wire really has got a female
> connection there. I also can't see, whether the boards shipped with the
> clip/wire, that fit to the jumper wire, have got female connections. Do you
> think I need an adapter and generally, is this equipment sufficient or do I
> need anything else, for example a USB extension cable?

Reading the description of that clip, it looks like it ships with
those extra boards as well as the wires. Based on the connections on
the clip and the boards, the wires are female to female, but the
connectors on the ends of the wires appear to be connected together in
2 blocks of 4. They should be separate in order to connect each wire
to the correct pin on the programmer. So if you get that clip, you
would still need to get separate female to female jumper wires.

For the programmer that you linked, a USB extension cable would likely
be needed, as the way USB ports are typically oriented on laptops
means that the pins on the programmer would face the table, making it
difficult to connect anything to it. However, that may not be needed
for other programmers depending on the way the pins are soldered on.

Regards,
Nicholas

[1]
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Modules/DS_USB_HI-SPEED_SERIAL_HUB_MODULE.pdf