On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 12:21:24PM +0100, Nico Huber wrote:
> On 18.01.22 10:40, bernd...@web.de wrote:
>> How long may the wires be?
>
> 10 to 20cm works well. Sometimes shorter is better, but the X220
> shouldn't make you any trouble. So I'd rather choose cables that don't
> make handling of the clip too inconvenient.

Nico is right about convenience.

Still, I experienced inconsistent reads almost every time I used 20cm
wires.  (Yes, I checked the wires and the clip for resistivity or loose
connections, etc.)

I experienced almost no inconsistent reads with 10cm wires.

When I shielded the 10cm wires with earthed aluminium foil, I got
entirely consistent reads.  Unfortunately, this is much less convenient
to handle than unshielded 20cm leads.

Your luck may depend on how electrically noisy your environment is.

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.