As Ron said, they are very useful. A lot of initialization happens
before PCI is enabled. Bear in mind that the POST codes traditionally
are written to IO port 0x80 (not PCI MMIO), so they can be output from
firmware immediately after the CPU is let out of reset.

The old coreboot wiki has some information about POST codes and cards
here: https://www.coreboot.org/POST_card