Ron,
if I had to hazard a guess, for most users with EOL ChromeOS hardware,
it's simply several orders of magnitude easier to flash my upstream
coreboot + edk2 firmware and install ChromeOS Flex, than to build
their own ChromiumOS (vs ChromeOS, since the private overlays are not
available) and manage updates