https://ticket.coreboot.org/issues/499#change-1571

* Author: Oberon 4071
* Assignee: Nico Huber
* Start date: 2023-06-29
* Affected versions: 4.21
* Needs backport to: none
* Affected hardware: lenovo/t440p
coreboot revision in git: feb27dcbf3fc685b070c950a16e8adec958bc1ce
coreboot revision (git describe --tags): 4.20-520-gfeb27dcbf3
Tested payloads: edk2 from MrChromebox revision uefipayload_202304 and
uefipayload_202306

coreboot will not boot my Lenovo ThinkPad T440p with
CONFIG_RESOURCE_ALLOCATION_TOP_DOWN enabled, when using the edk2 payload
(MrChromebox version, either uefipayload_202304 or uefipayload_202306). The
display sometimes turns on, indicating that some of the hardware initialization
was successful, but the payload will not start.

I tried to disable CONFIG_RESOURCE_ALLOCATION_TOP_DOWN in .config, but the
build process insists on leaving this config enabled. This seems to be caused
by the RESOURCE_ALLOCATION_TOP_DOWN setting changed to "def_bool y" in
src/device/Kconfig in commit 5226301765ded70e0ef640e5252bbaca8cd14451
(allocator_v4: Treat above 4G resources more natively). The make target for
building coreboot seems to automatically rerun olddefconfig, causing this
setting to always remain enabled no matter what was previously saved in the
.config file.

Modifying src/device/Kconfig to change RESOURCE_ALLOCATION_TOP_DOWN to
"def_bool n" appears to fix the problem on my machine.

I have attached my .config file (with CONFIG_RESOURCE_ALLOCATION_TOP_DOWN
enabled to reproduce the problem).

.config (20.7 KB)
console.log (128 KB)

--
You have received this notification because you have either subscribed to it,
or are involved in it.