On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Nick <nickgre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for the reply, torcx-zfs looks good. But I'm a bit out of my depth
> here, and the instructions are a bit brief for me to fill in the gaps. (e.g.
> is `coreos-devel` a fork of a git repo? Which folder would I "copy the
> repository into"?)

It looks like the coreos-devel stuff is just set up so you can use
Docker.  You shouldn't need that if you use nspawn to start the
container.  It meant to copy the repo into the container.

> Is there any documentation I should be reading to help get me started? (e.g.
> https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/sdk-modifying-coreos.html ?)

Maybe https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/kernel-modules.html will be
more useful in this case.  The SDK is normally for building an entire
new OS image.

> Is it worth contacting @lorenz to ask for "spoon fed" instructions?

Yes, that project is not developed by CoreOS, so contacting him
directly will be the best way to get details.

> Will this torcx feature help simplify the process (on track for 23rd May
> 2018)? https://github.com/coreos/bugs/issues/2215

It could simplify selecting your ZFS torcx image, but I don't think
that change was concerned with building images.

If torcx is more than you want to deal with for this, I wrote a
separate script for building kernel modules and used ZFS as an example
at https://gist.github.com/dm0-/0db058ba3a85d55aca99c93a642b8a20 .
That example doesn't install the userspace components, but I think one
of the forks expanded it to do so.

Thanks.

David