Pádraig Brady <[email protected]> writes:

> On 27/09/2025 17:11, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>> I'm considering applying the attached to only distribute xz tarballs.
>> We didn't release .tar.gz sources since coreutils-8.14 (2011),
>> but then re-enabled .tar.gz since coreutils-8.32 (2020).
>> That was to support Guix bootstrapping 100% from sources:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/r/coreutils/2020-02/msg00042.html
>> Since then I understand Guix' bootar got xz support.
>> Also I noticed in all the plethora of (older) systems I tested
>> coreutils 9.8 on, that xz was supported on them all.
>> Also it's another 5 years down the line.
>
>> p.s. I did a quick test with zstd (supported since automake 1.16.2
>> (2020)),
>> but the file size was about the same (a little bigger),
>> so I don't think we get enough benefits from enabling that.
>
> Another year down the line, I'm going with the attached,
> which replaces tar.gz tarballs with tar.zst.
> These are less than half the size so are a fine fallback format.

Looks good to me. I remembered this thread recently and was wondering
when you planned on actually switching.

Maybe it would be helpful to document how ZSTD_OPT was determined, as is
done for XZ_OPT. In case they ever need to be revisited in the future,
or to serve as inspiration for others that want to help ftp.gnu.org save
disk space and network usage.

Collin

Reply via email to