I got to wondering about what the maximum value you can set for the width for 
the 'fmt'
command is.  Experimentation tells me the answer is 2500.  2500 works, but any 
number
greater than that (starting with 2501) generates an error message.

I suggest two things:

1) That the maximum (whatever it is) be documented in "man fmt".
(And, incidentally, why should there be any maximum at all?)

2) That there be an option to say, essentially, no limit.  Say "-0", which 
currently does
something else.

BTW, the reason for #2 is that occasionally I have the need to take a file that 
is
formatted "in lines" - that is, normal text with a newline every 75 characters 
(or
thereabouts) and I need to convert to be "in paragraphs" - each paragraph is a 
single line
regardless of length.  I can use "fmt -1000" (or, it seems, any number up to 
2500), but
that obviously feels like a hack.

=================================================================================
Please do not send me replies to my posts on the list.
I always read the replies via the web archive, so CC'ing to me is unnecessary.

When responding to my posts, please try to refrain from giving bureaucratic
answers.  If you have nothing useful to say, then just click Next and go on.

BTW, ain't interested in kludgey workarounds - got enough of my own!
(YT id: 6H1lcubN0oE)

Reply via email to