Stan Marsh <[email protected]> writes:

> I got to wondering about what the maximum value you can set for the width for 
> the 'fmt'
> command is.  Experimentation tells me the answer is 2500.  2500 works, but 
> any number
> greater than that (starting with 2501) generates an error message.
>
> I suggest two things:
>
> 1) That the maximum (whatever it is) be documented in "man fmt".
> (And, incidentally, why should there be any maximum at all?)
>
> 2) That there be an option to say, essentially, no limit.  Say "-0", which 
> currently does
> something else.
>
> BTW, the reason for #2 is that occasionally I have the need to take a file 
> that is
> formatted "in lines" - that is, normal text with a newline every 75 
> characters (or
> thereabouts) and I need to convert to be "in paragraphs" - each paragraph is 
> a single line
> regardless of length.  I can use "fmt -1000" (or, it seems, any number up to 
> 2500), but
> that obviously feels like a hack.

Yes, the limit is 2500. It is a known issue that no one has gotten
around to fixing. There are 2 reports in debbugs about it, but I've been
getting 504 errors the past few days trying to access it. I'll send them
once I can connect again.

Collin

Reply via email to