I got the following from s_client:

didn't found starttls in server response, try anyway...
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:SSLv2/v3 write client hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
depth=1 /C=GB/ST=Foo/L=Bar/O=The University of FooBar/OU=The University of
FooBar/CN=The University of FooBar CA/emailAddress=postmas...@foobar.com
verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain
verify return:0
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server certificate A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server certificate request A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server done A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client certificate A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client key exchange A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write certificate verify A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write finished A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read finished A
500 Command EHLO unregcognized
read:errno=0
SSL3 alert write:warning:close notify

I presume it worked up until the SMTP protocol started.
It confirms that the certificate I got was self-signed, but then seems to
proceed without issue, so
unfortunately I'm still no wiser as to why my client gets
"SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: unknown_ca"