Hi Folks,

I recently noticed a few things while auditing one of our web applications for
XSS vulnerabilities.

1. The Cosign filter in version 3.2 supports setting the HttpOnly flag on
service cookies
2. This option isn't documented anywhere I can find (though it's mentioned in
the release notes) [1]
3. It's not enabled by default

Given that stealing a user's service cookie via XSS provides an attacker with
the ability to log into $service for as long as that user's cosign session is
active, is there any reason why this feature is not enabled by default in the
filter and server?

Is the lack of documentation a bug, or is the feature not considered complete
for some reason?

Thanks for any clarification - if a bug report would be more useful/appropriate
I'll submit one as soon as the site comes back :-)

-geoff

1. Readable on http://sourceforge.net/projects/cosign/files/cosign/cosign-3.2.0/
___________________________________
* NB: I do not work Wednesday PM *

Geoff Lee <g....@ed.ac.uk>
Senior Computing Officer
Edinburgh College of Art
University of Edinburgh
Hunter Building,
Lauriston Place,
Edinburgh, Scotland,
EH8 9DF
Tel: +44 (0)131 650 2341
Twitter: @eca_it

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.