I’ve resolved this issue. It was in my apache config and related to the
“CosignAllowPublicAccess” directive. I had that set to On in the global cosign
settings and failed to set it to “Off” in the Location block that I was trying
to protect. On my other servers, that global setting was “Off” and thus
unnecessary in the Location block. Somehow I missed this.

Like this:

 CosignRedirect https://webaccess.psu.edu/
 CosignPostErrorRedirect https://webaccess.psu.edu/post_error.html
 CosignAllowPublicAccess On

<Location /webaccess/>
    AuthType Cosign
    CosignProtected On
    CosignAllowPublicAccess Off #this line was missing
    Require valid-user
</Location>

jd