From: Yadin Flammer [mailto:y...@psu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 3:12 PM
To: cosign-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Cosign-discuss] Dies on IIS 8.5

I'm trying to put Cosign on server 2012R2 for the first time, and I'm hitting a
fatal issue right out of the gate.  As soon as the module is registered, IIS no
longer works as the app pool dies as soon as it tries to service a http
request.  I have not even configured a site to use cosign yet, so the
appearance is the module is not compatible with IIS 8.5?

Steps taken:
Download 3.1.1 zip for IIS7 from
http://cosign.sourceforge.net/download.shtml
Copy the src/Cosign_Schema.xml file into
C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\schema
Copy the x64 CosignModule.dll file into C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv Open an
administrative command prompt and change directory to
c:\windows\system32\inetsrv.
Enter this command:
appcmd install module /name:"Cosign"
/image:"%windir%\system32\inetsrv\CosignModule.dll"

At that point, the expectation is that the webserver just keeps working as it
has been as Cosign isn't even involved yet. Unfortunately, as I said the app
pool dies because cosign causes a fatal issue.  From the Event Viewer:

Application: The Module name Cosign path
C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\CosignModule.dll returned an error from
registration.  The data is the error.
System: Application pool 'DefaultAppPool' is being automatically disabled due
to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

Not real helpful other than confirming what was obvious, Cosign is killing the
app pool so the server is dead until the module is removed.

I noted some things changed in the instructions, so I then added the x86 .dll
to SysWOW64\inetsrv, uinstalled the module, and reinstalled with appcmd install
module /name:"Cosign" /image:"CosignModule.dll"

Unfortunately this made no change, the app pool still dies as soon as a page
request is made over http.  Is it really supposed to be the case the x64 module
goes in the 32bit directory and vice versa?
Why is the module causing the app pool to crash out before it's even active in
a configuration?

Thanks!
Yadin

   Yadin Flammer - Systems Administrator
   College of Arts&  Architecture, Penn State University
   220 Borland Building              Office Phone: 814-865-0990
   University Park, PA 16802         Help Desk:    814-865-AAIT
   Email: y...@psu.edu               Dept. Fax:    814-863-6227