________________________________
From: CoTyroneList <cotyronelist-boun...@cotyroneireland.com> on behalf of Ron
McCoy via CoTyroneList <cotyronelist@cotyroneireland.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 4:32:06 AM
To: cotyronelist@cotyroneireland.com
Cc: Ron McCoy

Hi Elwyn

that was really nice thank you so much

Ron McCoy

On 2018-10-31 1:12 PM, Elwyn Soutter via CoTyroneList wrote:
The stir-about pot was hung on a swiveled arm over the open fire, and the
housewife just dropped anything available into it. Mainly potatoes and oats,
and sometimes the odd onion. Meat was a rarity, though rabbits and so on were
an occasional bonus.  It all went in together. Pretty basic stuff.

For those of a sentimental inclination, the stirabout pot gets a mention in the
splendid cheesy old Percy French song: “The Emigrant’s letter” (sometimes known
as Cutting the Corn in Creeslough) written some time about 1890, about sailing
as an emigrant from Derry to Quebec.

https://www.irish-folk-songs.com/emigrants-letter-lyrics-and-guitar-chords.html

Guaranteed to bring a tear to the eye, Bridie Gallagher gives it her best here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8jeEEgI9mY

Elwyn