I was wondering how common it was for people to drop the O’ from their
surname? Our ancestors emigrated from Omagh, County Tyrone in the 1820s and
ever since they’ve been in the United States their last name has been
Moore. But I just recently found an old document with a small little note
that referred to one of the oldest relatives as “John O’Moore (later
dropped the O’). “ This opens up a lot of doors for my search efforts that
I didn’t have before. How common was this dropping of the O’, and did it
happen before they left Ireland or once they got to the United States?

Thank you,
Kelly Nawrocki