MacLysaght (“The Surnames of Ireland”) says this:

“Moore: A well–known English name much substituted for the Irish O’More.  It is
widespread throughout Ireland but really numerous only in Co. Antrim and
Dublin.”

“O’More: The leading sept of the Seven Septs of Leix.  This name is now almost
invariably changed to Moore”.

Go check out Edward MacLysaght’s three books on line or at your local library.
Some of the other books may give more detailed info.  His intro goes into nice
detail regarding the dropping, regaining and correct usage of Mc, Mac, and O
over the centuries.

Ed.