Bob, after reading your message, I  measured the O.D. of my rudder pushrod
tubes as they are in the shop also waiting to be reinstalled.  I am
restoring N99997 a 1946D.  The O.D. was 0.632, but allowing a few
thousands
for paint, I would say 5/8 also.  I noticed that the ends were tapered for
about 1.0".  Looks like they were swaged to the end fittings before
welding.
Mine have light corrosion on them as they were well preserved somewhere
along the way with zinc chromate.  They are not really heavy but if you
want, I will weigh one of them for you if you want.  Will be going to the
Thomasville, Ga airshow this weekend so won't check the mail again until
monday.   By the way, where did you get a "E" elevator?
Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]