Mike Cardwell writes:

* on the Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 06:33:35PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

You are running a hacked version of courier-imap, since courier-imap does
not attempt to create directories on login.
JOOI. Is there a reason that this isn't an option in the official
codebase? I'd have thought it was a quite useful option...
You'll reconsider your thoughts after some stupid glitch causes your NFS mounts to fail, and then the server begins to create random mailboxes on the local disk, and generally screw up everyone's mail clients.

I don't quite understand your logic. It seems to me that you're suggesting
the option hasn't been added for anyone to use, simply due to the existance
of NFS...

That's just one example of the same underlying concept.

What about the people not using NFS, ie the majority?

What about people doing their jobs and either creating the mailboxes themselves, or setting up a proper account provisioning script, which sets the new account's login id and password, and creates the account's mailbox? It is not the IMAP server's job to create mailboxes which did not exist. If the account's mailbox did not exist it could be because someone simply made a typo somewhere, or some other kind of a mistake. No assumptions whatsoever can be made, other that something is wrong and, in which case, the correct course of action os to report an error. Trying to do a job that's not yours to do, or attempting to second-guess what the right thing to do, will always lead to problems.