Olivier Mueller writes:

Hi Sam & List,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Le 15.09.20 à 13:12, Sam Varshavchik a écrit :
Which is only valid in Unicode-formatted E-mail. This was never valid formatting pre-Unicode. (...)

This alert is required by RFC 6855

Thanks, technically of course you are right. According to https://imapwiki.org/Specs not a single server is implementing this RFC (not even Courier-Imap, so the list may be quite outdated), so maybe it is not

This is outdated. Courier-IMAP's implementation of RFC 6855 should be complete. It's my understanding that its implementation of RFC 6855 was undergoing testing by an IETF workgroup. Those kinds of things are not the kind of things I follow or is familiar with, but it's my understanding that RFCs require an independent conforming implementation in order to advance to the completed standard status, and someone was giving the task of making it happen. I haven't heard anything back (as I said, I don't really follow that), but if there was a non-conformance problem someone would've notified me.

As a test I did try to access the same mailbox with a dovecot running on the same server, and there were no alert. Messages rendered just fine with mail.app or thunderbird, in all cases (courier-imap and dovecot).

Because Dovecot, likely, does not implement RFC 6855.

P.S. Not just RFC 6855. There are comparable Unicode RFCs for POP3 and SMTP, and someone was, to my knowledge, checking the whole thing with Courier.