I don't think you want to do this.

Kmail is a client. I'm assuming it doesn't actually understand the Maildir format, but uses IMAP or POP to access your mail... correct?

In which case, you don't want to try to combine the 2, because you'll just end up confusing both Courier and Kmail with data they aren't expecting to see. (Courier would probably handle it pretty gracefully, but I don't know how Kmail would deal with a Maildir structure.)

Remember, the 'Maildir' folder is not a local copy of your mail (even though it looks local to you because it's in your home), it's actually the mail server's data store... not yours.

Kmail is using the 'Mail' folder for your local copies of mail, and that's as it should be. They should be kept separate.

Perhaps what you want to do is to simply relocate one or both so that they aren't constantly in your face looking like they're "extra".

You should be able to tell Courier to use a folder named '.servermail' in your home if you wanted to instead. (It's both hidden by default in listings, and has a name that more explicitly differentiates it from your local mail store.) Courier doesn't care much what the Maildir is named, as long as you *tell* it what the name is. Or... You should be able to set Kmail up to use one named '.mymail' (to hide and differentiate it) for your local copies of mail... if you don't want to change your Courier config much.

Of course, you could rename both of them for that matter. :)

-jab


On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 07:30 US/Central, Egbert Jan van den Bussche wrote:


Hi,

I'm quite new to courier but I have managed to install Courier 0.42 from the
sourcce tarball using the various documents for a local domain
(mitac.vandenbussche.nl). I use Kmail (under KDE3.1) for testing on a
Mandrake 9.1 machine ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
During Courier installation testing I've created a Maildir tree with
'maildirmake Maildir'. When I fire up Kmail it seems to create another
maildir tree (several) under ~/Mail. Should I tell one of them (either
Courier or Kmail) to use just one of the two maildir trees? How to do that?
I see now in the Kmail window an inbox (not visible but under the ~/Maildir
tree) AND a 'local account' where all sent mail accumulates. This Sent-mail
is under the ~/Mail tree.


I find this a bit confusing and want to change Courier or Kmail to use just
one tree. But how?


Thanks for bearing with a newbie.

Egbert Jan van den Bussche
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (on my Postfix mailserver)



------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: eBay Get office equipment for less on eBay! http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/711-11697-6916-5 _______________________________________________ courier-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users

Reply via email to