Hi,
Thanks to all that replied om my Kmail question. I got the point; I used
IMAP, not Maildir and got all maildir like stores in my window. Kmail
supports maildir and IMAP.
This time I try to get virtual hosting to configured. I'm not sure if I
should use 'virtual' here. The name *is* very confusing as was mentioned
recently on the list here. Also confusing is the chapter 'How do I implement
virtual hosting' in the FAQ (which I took from the web site).
First what I want to achieve:
I hold two domains: vandenbussche.nl and scouthout.nl. Both have an MX
record in the outside world pointing to my hostname/IP address of the cable
modem (fixed but not guaranteed). Mail is handled by Postfix/vmpop3d on
Mandrake 9.0. All machines on my LAN are in 'vandenbussche.nl'. All
'vandenbussche.nl' accounts have a real userid on the box. The
'vandenbussche.nl' accounts are read using POP3.
All mail to accounts in 'scouthout.nl' are immediately forwarded out again
via the standard alias settings in Postfix. So [EMAIL PROTECTED] gets
forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] gets forwarded
(aliased) to [EMAIL PROTECTED] . Most other accounts in scouthout.nl go out
again to hotmail-like adresses. It is just to give the members of the local
boyscouts group a nice email address. Works fine for two years already. Also
simple mailing lists are done this way.
Now I want to change my mailserver to Courier. That will me give the
posibility to use POP3, IMAP and webmail but I do not want to loose the
'old' forwarding trick for the nice email addresses for users that have an
email address already somewhere else.
I thought the FAQ ('How do I implement virtual hosting') would answer my
question... however:
The first userdb example tells me to use 'filename/[EMAIL PROTECTED]' when
userdb is a directory (which is true in the 0.42 release). Shouldn't that
read 'directory/john...'? I understand that this will create a
/etc/passwd-like lookup table for example.com users. What would the home
dir. be? /home/virtual/example.com/john? And the next user?
/home/virtual/example.com/pete? Must I do a 'maildirmake' in both
directories?
The second userdb command example for an account *without* home directory
sets both a 'home' and a 'mail' location. What is then the default (for
'mail') in the first example? And what would be the home directory then if
there is no home directory? Why is the system mailbox in
/home/virtual/example.com/john? That sounds like a home directory to me.
I would be very grateful for a full text example for dummies like me.
Thanks again for reading up to here and any advise.
Best regards,
Egbert Jan van den Bussche
-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: eBay
Get office equipment for less on eBay!
http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/711-11697-6916-5
_______________________________________________
courier-users mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users