--On Dienstag, 9. Dezember 2003 15:16 +0000 Jeff Jansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 December 2003 14:49, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
>> Is this a feature of courier, that it checks/verifies the
>> sender address (which, btw, has always been a perfectly
>> valid address)
>>
>> Your message to the following recipients cannot be
>> delivered:
>>
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>     mail.sourceforge.net [66.35.250.206]:
>>   RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>         <<< 550 Sender verify failed
>
> I think that the "550" is the response from mail.sourceforge.net.  Your
> courier server tried to send your message and the server at the other end
> refused and returned "550 Sender verify failed".  So courier sent the
> message  back to you as undeliverable.
>
> Something happened at sourceforge's end that they didn't like your return
> address - but only certain times.  DNS weirdness???

Sourceforge introduced the 'callback' some moths ago.
Check your logs (as you always should before posting...) and you may see
a connect from there at the same time.

If you dont see anyting it was probably because you server was unreachable
like just now. mail1.americasnet.com has a delay of at least 30 seconds
until the greeting appears and mail2.americasnet.com just sits there without
any greeting at all for 2 minutes:

# telnet 38.118.152.247 25
Trying 38.118.152.247...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

You are probably using defunct dnsbl or something alike.
Additionally the identical priority of your mx prevents a fallback, one
good configured mailserver is still better than two messed up boxes ;)

Roland