On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> Well, from what I know about the structure of Courier, it would take
> a lot of refactoring to allow the modification of messages during
> a global filter.  That's because the message file that we see during
> this step is a temporary file.  The "real" message file has not yet
> been created, as far as I know.
>
> You can see the sequence of events that take place during message
> processing here:  http://www.courier-mta.org/queue.html

I don't think that's quite accurate.  My understanding of that same
document is that we are operating on the same exact message that ends up
being processed by courierd, but it's *current name* is such that
courerd ignores it until submit renames it.  However, it's not like when
filtering is done, submit creates *another* copy of the message, it's
just renamed.

> And as for this patch itself, remember that it consists solely of
> putting a unique "id" field into the "Received" header.  This is a minor
> change, and it mirrors what some other MTA's already do.  Even if we
> don't end up using this to facilitate the methodology that I outlined in
> my Modest Proposal, it still is a useful feature in and of itself.

To me, it's just a hack.  Sorry, but that's how I feel.

> > I've seen people running filters twice to do rejection and modification
> > separately - maybe before embarcing on this you might want to do some
> > benchmarks?
>
> I fully intend to perform some benchmarks to _compare_ the
> rejection/re-insertion idea with my proposed methodology.  I can only do
> this once I have written the code outlined in my proposal.  This will
> be completed in a few days, at which time I'll run the benchmarks and
> post the results here ... as well as my patch and code.

I think that's a great idea!  However, my suggestion would be to use
submit to your advantage here.  The "submit" protocol is well documented
somewhere (I read it for over an hour the other night) and while a
little unwieldy IMO it also seems like the best way to do injection.

I come from a qmail background, and it seems to me that 'submit' takes
the place of qmail-inject and qmail-queue.  It also seems like there
might be some benefit to writing a qmail-inject-like wrapper for submit.

--
Ensign Walnut approaches Dr. Crusher with caution...

Jon Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
C and Python Code Gardener