On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, David Bruha wrote:

> Hi,
> I am now fighting my way through configuring courier-mta with virus and
> spam filtering and I must admit I lack some good documentation for that.
>
> I have read about the rejection/re-insertion metodology and would like
> to ask you if you could enlighten me about it a little bit more. As far
> as I understand it, its' a method where courier accepts an email on one
> port (25) then forwards it to a global filtering program. This program
> then makes any tests necessary and (if the message is ok) re-sends the
> message to courier to another port. Is that correct? Could anyone show
> me a functional example, please?

I don't think that's quite right.  IIRC, it goes like this (I'm
probably wrong):

submit creates the control and data files in the "temp" queue.  These
are named in such a way that courierd doesn't pay attention to them.

Then, "filtering" takes place.  Note that one end of submit is still
talking to the "sender" (let's say esmtpd) and the other end is the
filtering stuff.  That's how (I think) the filtering messages get back
to the smtp dialog.  I'm probably way off base here.  Anyway, after
filtering is done, submit renames the control and data files and signals
courierd, and exits.

Mr. Sam: could you please give us a detailed "process overview" as to
how messages go from (say, esmtpd) through submit, through the global
filters, and then the final signaling of courierd?  If the queue docs on
courier-mta.org are close but a bit out of date (I don't see /any/
mention of global filtering there) I'm sure many of us would appreciate
an update somehwere.

I am willing to help out, but I need some pointers as to /where/ in the
process filtering happens, and which files are responsible.

Also, a reason why courier can't allow the modification of messages in
global filters would be cool, and if you could point us to the source
files relevant to that area I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

--
Ensign Walnut approaches Dr. Crusher with caution...

Jon Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
C and Python Code Gardener