Having got Courier moving mail, I want to add in anti-virus and spam scanning. I've read the docs/homepages for Amavis and SpamAssassin (and Clam) - but would like some recommendations. What version/variant of Amavis (-ng, -new, etc.) seems to play best with Courier? Is a Courier/Amavis/Clamd/SpamAssassin combo a reasonable way to go or are there better alternatives? Hidden gotchas?

I'd recommend amavis-new -- amavis-ng wasn't working (don't recall specifics), but -new was fast to setup, and pretty feature-rich. I'm running it with ClamAV; clamd running as user clamav.

- installed amavis-new; which runs amavisd as a daemon (user clamav; group courier) listening on a socket
/etc/crontab: added processHealthCheck
modified /etc/init.d/courier: added following lines to restart daemon when
courier restarts, since otherwise the allfilter socket is cleared out
echo -n " amavisd"
kill `cat /var/amavis/amavisd.pid`
/usr/local/sbin/amavisd

best,