I've spend the last 2 days looking for the answer to this exact
question. (Actually, it's a very different question if you are using
vpopmail -- sqwebmail archives have a lot of info on that.  But it
sounds like you are using straight courier. It also sounds like you are
using pamd for authentication since you mentioned system passwords.)

My solution:  take a look at /etc/pam.d
If you do not see a file named webmail, that's your problem.

>From INSTALL:

PAM configuration

   If you use PAM library for authentication, you may need to set up PAM
for
   authenticating POP3 logins, IMAP logins, webmail logins, and/or ESMTP
   authentication. In most cases, all you have to do is install
   /usr/lib/courier/etc/pop3d.authpam as /etc/pam.d/pop3,
   /usr/lib/courier/etc/imapd.authpam as /etc/pam.d/imap,
   /usr/lib/courier/etc/webmail.authpam as /etc/pam.d/webmail, and
   /usr/lib/courier/etc/esmtp.authpam as /etc/pam.d/esmtp. However you
will
   have to consult your PAM documentation, and the manual pages for
authpam,
   in order to make sure.

I hope this works out for you!
Cheers,