Hi Robert, hi Sam,

Robert Pfister [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Julian Mehnle wrote:
> > Why can't your users' mail clients (or whatever produces those
> > misformatted e-mail addresses) just conform to the standards?
>
> My previous attempts to get Microsoft to conform to standards haven't
> been successful.  Do you have any thoughts on how I can be more
> effective?

If your users complain about your mailserver not working well with
Microsoft products, and if that is because Microsoft products are
incompliant to established internet standards, tell your users about it
and suggest not using Microsoft products.

I know most users don't like to hear that (usually the ignorant ones), but
we don't allow British cars to drive on the left side of the road on the
continent or in the US just to appease their owners, do we?  ;-)  (No, I
didn't want to imply that British cars are inherently broken.)

> I wasn't aware that there was an option to reject the address at this
> point.

I must admit that I thought that Courier would reject such an address, and
I was pretty surprised when I discovered a few minutes ago that it
doesn't.  Sam, shouldn't "RCPT TO: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]'>" raise a syntax error?
Last time I looked, single quotes were illegal in domain names. :-)

> This might be ok, even if the entire mail was rejected.  At least the
> user would look for errors in their side, rather than blaming the
> server, and causing panic.  What would be the downside to adding checks
> for invalid domain name characters? (this would address all of the
> potential quoting, bracketing, etc)

I think adding such checks and issuing a syntax error in the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]'>
case would be the way to go.  But maybe there's a good reason why Courier
doesn't do that?