Hi, I'm using courier since 2002 and love it. It's stable and flexible.
I also would advocate a filter architecture such as milter, which has
several event handlers and would suit, among others, to the
purpose you mention. It is the only feature missing to courier.
Afaik there is no way to emulate it at this time.

Some time ago there were several  discussions on the matter
on this list, and if I remember correctly what Sam said, the major
issue seems to be that the message's mime structure is parsed
before the filters, and altering them within the filters (which would
be possible in a milter interface, although irrelevant for greylisting)
would imply re-parsing the structure afterwards. Also other issues
with several recipients were mentioned. Many users  would go with
the performance drawback of reparsing for having such a feature,
but I don't know the status of this right now. Would be welcome to
me too.

Regards,

Lorenzo