On 09/02/11, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> The only thing I can think of would be a transient DNS lookup
> failure for pobox.com. mailfromok is accepted only if the SPF
> lookup on the MAIL FROM resulted in pass.

That may be possible because I'm in AU and a lookup I just did
now from the same mailserver was...

~ dig txt pobox.com
;; Query time: 245 msec

whereas the next attempt was 14 msec. This TXT record is rather
intense so I could well imagine DNS timing out trying to look
for a match through all of this gunk...

~ dig +short txt pobox.com
"v=spf1 mx mx:fallback-relay.%{d} a:webmail.%{d} a:smtp.%{d}
a:outgoing.smtp.%{d} a:discard-reports.%{d} a:discards.%{d}"

> A transient DNS lookup failure results in an SPF softfail
> result, rather. I think this is probably wrong; mailfromok
> should be accepted if the SPF lookup resulted in softfail,
> as well...

So courier is "at fault" in this particular corner case?

--markc